Bat Found Dead, Hanging Upside Down on a wire

I was coming back home after a long day's job. I passed a short cut which I didn't pass in the morning. It was then I saw a bat hanging upside down on a wire.


I frowned and was like "What the heck!"

In Benin City, it is very common to see bats taking over the sky every evening. These bats are actually from the Oba's Palace and its environs. They hang upside down on trees during the day, and fly to only God knows where, during evening/night. Those people who stay around Trade Fair, Goodwill, Ekenwan Road, down to Evbuotubu and beyond will know what I'm talking about. I have often wondered where the bats go at night.

However, when I got closer, I found that it was dead. It was badly burnt all over, almost beyond recognition but at least, one could still see the wings. The legs were burnt stuck to the wire it was hanging with, that's the only reason why it didn't fall to the ground. I was wondering when happened because it was not yet time for bats to come out. Lucky for me, a boy who lived on that street was just coming back from school. As soon as he was close enough I asked,

" Has this bat been here since morning?"

"Yes ma," he replied, before going on his way.

Well, if it was there early in the morning, that mean its unfortunate death happened at about 11:55pm, the night before. It was around that time the light came on. I know because I work late into the night, writing my stories. Talking about stories, TRAPPED; The Underworld," will soon be ready. Just keep your fingers crossed.

As for the bat, all I can say is RIP.

Comments

  1. Would you add your photos as a citizen-science observation to the AfriBats project on iNaturalist?:
    http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/afribats

    AfriBats will use your observations to better understand bat distributions and help protect bats in Africa.

    Please locate your picture on the map as precisely as possible to maximise the scientific value of your records.

    Many thanks!

    PS: it's a straw-coloured fruit bat (Eidolon helvum)
    www.inaturalist.org/taxa/40827-Eidolon-helvum

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment