Two Stories, One Lesson

I went to Oluku today, to visit an aunt I hadn't seen for almost two years. The journey was long and quiet. It was quiet because I wasn't really in the mood for chats or sight seeing. My thoughts were on the fact that I wouldn't get back home early. If there is anything I hate, its night movement. I still love me, myself and I. Lolz.

However, when I got to Oluku, I came down from the bus I boarded and continued my journey to my aunt's home, on foot. I passed the first street. It was dusty, almost deserted but friendly. After that, I passed through a path with palm trees by the sides, into the second street. I was still some distance away from the end of the street when a blue Audi, came out from the next street. It got to where I was and drove past me. There were two men and a woman in it. Soon after, a very little boy, of about 2 to 3 years of age, appeared at the junction of the third street. He wore a very dirty shirt, he was bare footed and was crying his eyes out. After looking towards my direction for a few seconds, he started running towards me, while calling out "Daddy! Daddy o!"

It took me a little while to realise he was pursuing the Audu. Mind you, the time was about 6:54pm already. It was soon going to be very dark. If there were bad men or women around, the boy would certainly be abducted or killed instantly. I tried to stop him and even force him to go back home, all to no avail. He dribbled me for a while, before taking off, as fast as his little legs could carry him. I wasn't happy that he dodged me, at the same time, I couldn't help but smile at his determination.

This little boy reminded me of something that happened years back. I must have been around 10 years old then. My father was still the richest man in Benin City, as long as I'm concerned. Lolz. We had all sorts of vehicles, including Coastal buses. So on this faithful day, my cousins had come from home to visit us. Since our big daddy( my father's eldest brother, and presently the eldest in the family) stays in Benin too, we decided to share them. The three eldest, all girls, were to stay with big daddy while the last born, a boy, was to stay with us. Unfortunately, big daddy had grown up children in the house. There was no little one amongst them. This spelt bad news for my cousins because it simply meant that playing, was out of the question. They either get bored, or work their arses off helping around the house. The first two girls were willing to cope but, not the third. She cried that she did not want to stay there. She wanted to go with us either by hook or crook. My dad ignored her because he was trying to do everything possible to make her stay. The rest of us, Me, my brothers and our boy cousin, got into the coaster bus, along with my dad. The driver drove off and that was it, or so we thought.

We had gone some distance away from big daddy's house when my immediate elder brother, while playing in his own corner at the back of the coastal bus, spotted my cousin, the third girl, chasing the bus. He drew our attention to it as well as our father's. Na wa o! You need to see the babe in action. She was bare footed and in tears. Her legs were flying and so her skirt. What touched me more was that, no matter how far the bus went, she did not give up. She continued following behind.

Touched by what was happening, my father asked the driver to stop. We took her home with us that day. The following day, my dad went to get her things from big daddy's house.


Oh dear! Who ever says being persistent won't get you what you want? That person obviously doesn't know what persistence is all about.

So my dearies (In Rumplestilskin's voice), be persistent in what you want and soon, that closed door will open. This is the lesson from the story.

Cheers!!!

Comments