Why Do Men Cheat?


When Steve Harvey's "Act Like a Lady, Think Like  a Man" first came out,  I didn't see it as anything much. I mean, seriously, what would a comedian write about, if not jokes? Lol. Well, just yesterday, I picked up the book and I've not dropped it down ever since. This great comedian indeed, has a lot of relationship advise for women. 

The male folks are totally different from us women, that is, if everything Harvey wrote in the book is 100% true. 


Now let's face the question: Why Do Men Cheat?

I know of men who don't cheat. Men who can never cheat because they have thoroughly disciplined themselves. Unfortunately, these men are rare and are overshadowed by their cheating counterparts. In this book,  Act Like a Lady - Think Like a Man, I finally got to understand certain men I've come across in my life.

1. During my service year, there was this man, the treasurer at the local government council I lived close to. He hunts female corpers like his life depends on the satisfaction he would get from them. But it never stopped him from caring for his wife. He talked about her to anyone who cared to listen. He showered his monthly salary on her like there was no tomorrow. He called her almost thoughout the day, bought her the latest cars and took her on endless vacations. He never failed to tell the female corpers that he loves his wife without reserve.

"Then why are you cheating on her?" My friend, who happened to be his secretary, asked. She couldn't understand his definition of love when he was cheating.

"I just want to enjoy myself. Nothing else. Its fun for me." That was his reply.


I never did understand how a man can love a woman so much and cheat on her. And he doesn't see it as something wrong?

2. Now fast forward to a year later. A friend of mine was in a relationship with a guy who opened up to her that although he was into her, he had eyes for about four other ladies. One topped the list. She felt, well, I'm the one with him. It wasn't like he was already with these ladies, he just had eyes on them. Her mistake. Things got annoying because he suddenly talked too much about these ladies, expecting her to remain cool with it. She gave room for that and since she couldn't take it anymore, she decided to put a stop to it. She made him choose. Her or the other ladies. He can't have all of them. Well, he chose her, temporarily. 

The truth is, a man's thirst for sex is unquenchable. You want to know why? Below is an excerpt from the book "Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man".

(Chapter 8, pages 97-98): By contrast, when it comes to men and sex, neither emotions nor meanings necessarily enter the equation. Its easy - very easy - for a man to have sex, go home and wash it off with soap and water, and act like what he just did never happened. Sex can be a purely physical act for us - love has absolutely nothing to do with it. Consider this "Strawberry Letter" from a woman who called herself "Concerned":

"During a conversation with my husband of 20 years, I asked him if he would honestly always be satisfied with having sex with me only. He hesitated for so long before answering that I just knew he was going to say "no". He then went on to explain that he loved me and would never do anything to hurt me, but if I gave him permission to have sex with other women and not form relationships with them, he would. He said that he's gotten older, he's been wondering if he is still attractive and sexually appealing, and that attention from another younger woman would boost his ego. Then he asked me if I would be willing to give him permission to have sex with other women if he promised to let them know up front that it's only sex he's interested in and he's not interested in a relationship. He even offered to answer any questions I'd have with his encounters, or, if I didn't want to know about it, to just do it and not tell me what and when it happened. Obviously, he's got a problem with monogamy. Should I consent so that a potential for sneaking around can be eliminated? What can I do to get him to change his thinking -if anything?

Phew!! I don't know how this woman managed to have the above convo with her husband without screaming at him. Lol. 

Well, Steve Harvey has spoken. But the men are allowed to also speak for themselves. Please, men, is Harvey right? Tell us why you cheat. We want to know.

Comments