Denied Too Long (4)

Photo Credit: masterfile.com
Alex got out of his car, slammed the door shut and headed for the compound again. A black hood covered his head, hiding his identity, just in case some one was nearby watching.

He got to the gate and tried to open it. But it was locked from inside. Stepping back a bit, he took out the little tube and pressed out a white creamy substance from it to the gate, making a square shape. The substance, being a powerful chemical, melted the parts it was applied on. A little push and the melted part fell over, making a not so loud noise and creating a wide square opening in the gate. Wearing gloves, he passed a hand through the square opening and was about to apply the chemical on the padlocks when a voice from over his shoulders distracted him.

Alex turned around quickly to find a huge man a short distance away from him. The man was dressed in black trouser, black T-shirt and a black jacket. The word 'cultist' came to mind.

"I'm asking you a question!" The huge man yelled at him. "What are you doing? Are you a thief?"

"No." He lied. "I misplaced my keys at the office and my wife traveled to the village. I have no keys now to go in. Hence this."

"Liar. You don't live here." The huge man countered. "Who are you?"

"I've told you already." Alex said stubbornly. "You shouldn't be disturbing a peaceful man trying to get into his house. Besides, my baby is in there all by himself. You're supposed to help me get in, not pose an obstacle."

"I see. Ok." The huge man said, "Which of the flats is yours?"

"The second." He replied, pointing in the direction of Emmy's flat.

Thanks to the street lights, he saw the smile that appeared on the man's face. A soft chuckle soon followed.

"What is funny?" Alex asked. But he didn't get an answer to his question. Instead two more men advanced from across the street.

"Bundle him up." The huge man instructed his boys.

"Don't you dare touch me." Alex pulled out his short gun and pointed it at them. "I'll shoot."

"Finally." The huge man said. He moved to stand in front of his boys, shielding them from any bullet that may be released . "You admit you were up to no good."

"I didn't admit to anything." Alex countered. "I only carry this gun around for thieves and thugs like you."

"Sure you do. Take him." The man ordered

Alex was sure he was in control of the situation until he felt something sharp pierce his neck. At the huge man's order, one of his boys had quickly shot his tranquilizer gun at Alex. Alex soon felt sedated and fell to his knees. He blanked out.

Bundle him up." The huge man ordered for the second time.

His boys obeyed and within few seconds, Alex was tied up and carried away to the back of their van across the street.

The following morning, the huge man placed a call to his employer. "I think we finally caught the man you asked us to look out for."


************************

Frank was still in bed being all mushy with Emmy when the call came. They had been awake almost throughout the night, engaging in one bed stunt after the other. Little Charles had woken up at about 2:00AM. Emmy had to breast feed him and rock him back to sleep. Frank was by her side all the while.

As soon as Charles fell asleep, which happened to be two hours after feeding, they both decided it was best to go to bed too.

The duo had woken up early to check on Charles. After which, they had gone back to bed. They spent the early morning smooching and asking each other why they had waited so long to be together. However, the call Frank received temporarily put a hold on their discussion.

"Let's go outside, dear." He told Emmy. "There is something you must see."

"But what?" She asked, confused. "I'd rather stay in bed and feed my eyes with your handsomeness."

"Just dress up sweetheart. Stop being a spoilt little baby." He chuckled, planting more kisses on her forehead. "Believe me, I'd rather stay in your arms and drool over your lovely face than that of a criminal's."

"Criminal?" She frowned.

"Yes. You see," he started to explain. "I just couldn't trust your angry and violent husband not to trace your location. So I hired an old friend who now happens to be a high ranking officer in the police force, to help keep an eye on you and the house."

"You did?" She was shocked. Eyes wide open.

"Yes I did. I would have told you but I didn't want you feeling like you're being watched."

"That call you just received..."

"That was my friend. Apparently, someone tried to break in last night. He was caught. We need to go and identify him."

"Sure." She nodded, suddenly understanding the need to get out of bed.

Who would have thought that aside proving shelter, job and being a companion, Frank had also provided security. As she dressed in her night robe, she paused briefly and looked up at him.

"Thank you." She said. Tears in her eyes. "I'm really really grateful for everything you've done for me."

"Are you...? No, no, no. Emmy no. Don't cry." He moved closer and wiped the tears off her eyes.

"I'm very sure I'd have been dead by now or still be in a house where every little mistake earns me a thorough beating, if not you. Seriously, I don't know how to repay you."

"What are you talking about? Please tell me last night was not a payment."

She smiled. "No. Last night was me ensuring I don't deny myself of being with the man who has taken over my thoughts and my heart."

Frank bent low and planted kisses all over her face. "You think we can have something?" He asked. "Something real? Something of love, respect, understanding and communication between us? Something lasting? I need a good woman in my life, not a quarreling one. And my daughter needs a mother to love her. She's just 3 years old."

Emmy's heart leaped. Her eyes brightened. "Are you asking me... Are you asking me to marry you?"

"Isn't that obvious? I know this is not a fancy proposal, but we've been denied too long of our happiness. I don't want to continue like this."

"Denied too long." She repeated. "Yes, we have. And my answer is yes my love. If I had not said no from the beginning, we wouldn't have gone through so much suffering."

"Well, if you had said yes from the start, we wouldn't have valued each other now. Don't you think?" He chuckled. She smiled.

********************
The next thirty minutes met them outside. The neighbours were already there, looking at the tied up man and his captors and asking questions.

"Is that him?" Frank asked, cutting through the small crowd that had gathered. Emmy by his side.

Alex looked up at them. "Before anything is done to me I'll tell everyone what a stupid woman you are." He said to his wife.

"And I'll gladly tell them what a wicked man you are." Emmy fired back. "A man who almost killed me, despite the fact I was with child. Your child. You'll never see him. You will not even know his name. When I'm done with you, you won't be coming anywhere near me again."

Frank calmed her down, asking her not to get worked up over a man like Alex. He then moved over to the huge man's side.

"Gabriel." They exchanged friendly hand shakes and pat on the shoulder. "Thanks a lot."

"I only did what you hired me for."

They discussed and it was decided that Alex be taken to the police station and charges filed against him. From there he was going to go to court, where he would be forced to sign the divorce papers. Frank and Emmy would also use the opportunity to appeal that restriction be placed on Alex. He was never to come near them again. Their case would be a good one and very convincing too, thanks to the weapons found on Alex. The judge would know that he was truly a dangerous man who shouldn't be allowed near Emmy or little Charles, including Francess, especially as they were soon going to be a family. It was time to move forward. No longer would they be denied a life of happiness in each other's company.



The End







Comments

Post a Comment